[systemd-devel] Native Journal source vs syslog forwarding

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Wed Nov 26 05:23:40 PST 2014

>>>>> "Jóhann" == Jóhann B Guðmundsson <johannbg at gmail.com> writes:

    Jóhann> Right but you are going against downstream distribution policy and
    Jóhann> unwilling yourself ( or have the consumer of the syslog-ng package do
    Jóhann> that ) to change the default manually ( via journald.conf ) or
    Jóhann> advocate for that change ( which would be simply advocating for
    Jóhann> following upstream ).

As I said, changing the default is not my decision. That belongs to the
systemd package. A local administrator can, of course, override it.

But from the syslog-ng package, I am not allowed to touch another
package's config file. I could drop a snippet to journald.conf.d/, if it
were supported, and that would be the ideal solution.

    Jóhann> If you are the syslog-ng maintainer in Debian then I guess you will
    Jóhann> have to introduce conflicts with other sysloggers in other components
    Jóhann> and have them remove the default syslogger ( assuming the journal has
    Jóhann> not been made the default yet in Debian and something like rsyslog is
    Jóhann> ) because if you go the snipped route you would overwrite the default
    Jóhann> thus break rsyslog ( and others if they exist ) in the
    Jóhann> process.

The syslogds already conflict with each other, so this part is covered.

    Jóhann> What is Jessie using 215? if so you are probably stuck with 215 for
    Jóhann> the reminder of Jessie which requires you to convince the Debian
    Jóhann> systemd maintainers to backport the relevant patch(es) to make that
    Jóhann> work.

Yep, but Jessie has syslog-ng 3.5, which uses the forwarder. (3.6 is
only in experimental, so plenty of time and opportunity to solve this
issue).

    Jóhann> Does Debian have two syslog-ng components one tweak for journal as in
    Jóhann> uses systemd-journal() along with filters and default journal tweaked
    Jóhann> send declaration and another one that is tweaked for $other systemd
    Jóhann> init systems since there are more tweaks than just systemd-journal()
    Jóhann> which should be made as an default in that process?

That would be an option, but I'd rather have one component that
auto-detects what to use. One thing I've been discussing with syslog-ng
upstream is to use the forwarder if available, but emit a warning that
suggests turning it off, and using the native journal source. At least
until we can drop a snippet in journald.conf.d/.

Anyhow, possible solutions were found, thanks everyone for the swift
help and suggestions!