[systemd-devel] [question] networkd: Any support for hooks?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Oct 1 22:36:41 PDT 2014

Hi Cameron,

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 6:36 AM, Cameron Norman <camerontnorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> ifupdown [1], NetworkManager, and WICD all support hooks for when a
> network interface is configured or deconfigured (before and after
> these actions).
>
> Are there any plans to support something along these lines? If so,
> what will that look like?
>
> If there are no plans, how do networkd's developers feel about adding
> the feature (will not merge, or will accept patches, etc.) ?

I am sceptical to adding hooks, so would need a lot of convincing.
What we do, however, is to expose the configuration state using the
sd-network C API, which external programs can watch and react on (see
how timesyncd and resolved currently works).

For specific hooks, we may want to integrate them directly upstream,
but it really depends on what functionality you have in mind.

Cheers,

Tom