[systemd-devel] Problem with modprobe in lm_sensors.service

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 6 11:41:29 PDT 2014

I am running Fedora 16 with kernel 3.14.19-100.fc19.x86_64 and
systemd-204-21.fc19.x86_64.

On startup (and sometimes shutdown), I see a message like this in
/var/log/messages:

    Oct  6 13:53:37 hobgoblin modprobe[623]: modprobe: ERROR: missing parameters. See -h.

This message appears to be due to invocations of modprobe with these
arguments:

    /sbin/modprobe -qab
    /sbin/modprobe -qabr

Grepping all the system files (and looking in the journal), it seems
likely that these invocations are made by systemd, under control of
/usr/lib/systemd/system/lm_sensors.service:

    [Unit]
    Description=Initialize hardware monitoring sensors
    After=syslog.target

    [Service]
    EnvironmentFile=/etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors
    Type=oneshot
    RemainAfterExit=yes
    ExecStart=-/sbin/modprobe -qab $BUS_MODULES $HWMON_MODULES
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/sensors -s
    ExecStop=-/sbin/modprobe -qabr $BUS_MODULES $HWMON_MODULES

    [Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

Which suggests that $BUS_MODULES and $HWMON_MODULES are empty in this
context.

Is it normal for these variables to be empty (in which case, the
lm_sensors people need to fix their .service file) or is systemd
supposed to be providing values here (in wich case, this is a systemd
problem)?

(And if it's a problem with the .service file, is there a "standard"
way to avoid this problem that I can suggest to the lm_sensors
people?)

Thanks,

Dale