[systemd-devel] Bug? /dev/disk/by-path symlinks disappear for iSCSI targets

Lee Duncan lduncan at suse.com
Tue Oct 7 09:21:11 PDT 2014

Hi:

I am debugging a problem where the symlinks in /dev/disk/by-path
disappeared for iSCSI target devices.

It looks like it's from systemd/udev commit
e98bbfd2074e2b1079b7059341eac25741baf319

 udev: path_id - suppress ID_PATH for devices with an unknown parent device type

I believe the worry was that if you allowed pathnames based on a
parent bus that did not supply unique IDs, then you could end up with
duplicate paths, since this references a bug:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1321816

But, looking at the code, this change seems to have assumed SCSI was
not a "supported parent". I am not aware of any cases where SCSI has
given duplicate names to devices

Before submitting a patch to fix this for SCSI, I wanted to make sure
I understood the intent correctly.

Thank you for your help.
--
Lee Duncan