[systemd-devel] systemd-detect-virt and vendors

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 8 15:35:01 PDT 2014

> From: Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>

> We really should be more specific and call it virtualbox and hyper-v
> instead, similar to say virt-what and other similar tools.  I will be happy
> write the patches if this makes sense.

At the least, we need documentation that tells the user what name
systemd uses, based on the name(s) that the user is likely to know the
product by (which may not be the current name of the product).

This would work reasonably well:

       The following technologies are currently identified: qemu, kvm,
       vmware, microsoft (a/k/a Hyper-V, Viridian, Windows Server
       Virtualization), oracle (a/k/a VirtualBox), xen, bochs, chroot,
       openvz, lxc, lxc-libvirt, systemd-nspawn.

Dale