[systemd-devel] Request for clarification of use & implementation of new (systemd >= v214) "network-pre.target"

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Oct 10 10:51:42 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM, PGNd <dev at pgnd.us> wrote:
> (2) [systemd-networkd] does not appear to be required for either network.target, or network-online.target ...

Correct.

The point of network-pre.target is that whatever network manager you
are using must be ordered After= it, so that your firewall setup can
be ordered Before= it and be set up correctly before any network
connectivity is established. This applies the same to NetworkManager,
systemd-networkd, or anything else.

> (3) This [...] suggests that systemd-networkd can be started in a detect-only mode, e.g., if no .network or .netdev are specified, leaving network & interface startup to ohter mechanisms (not theat I see the benefit in doing so; nonetheless ...).  Is that correct?

Yes.

Cheers,

Tom