[systemd-devel] How soon after login can I rely on systemd --user having reached sockets.target?

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 03:16:30 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 1:02 PM, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Btw., manager_check_finished() doesn't explicitly wait for
> default.target, but instead waits for all jobs to be done. Not sure
> why..

Because default.target can be reached long before all jobs that are
part of transaction finish. Do not forget that Wants != After.

> Anyway, this means any dynamically scheduled jobs will also
> contribute to this delay.

OTOH it means that if your service has "systemctl start
other.service", other.service will contribute.

I wonder - does it wait for *any* job or only for those started as
part of initial transaction? Arguably, the latter would be the right
semantic here, not?