[systemd-devel] How soon after login can I rely on systemd --user having reached sockets.target?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 20 09:59:12 PDT 2014

On Sun, 19.10.14 15:58, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbyszek at in.waw.pl) wrote:

> > > PAM creates sessions by calling into systemd's pam-module, which then
> > > uses CreateSession() (internal api!). This call does not return until
> > > the job of user at .service is done. `systemd --user` notifies READY=1
> > > only after "default.target" is ready.
>
> Hm, this seems a bit excessive, because default.target can take
> a while. basic.target would seem more natural.

Excessive? Why would default.target take so long? Note that this is
not supposed to pull up a full GNOME session or so. In most cases
default.target would be very little more than basic.target...

That said, I am not really opposed to changing this to basic.target. The
important thing I guess is that after login all services are
connectable, hence socket.target and busnames.target should have been
reached at least, which basic.target delivers as much as
default.target does...