[systemd-devel] How to use cgroups within containers?

Richard Weinberger richard at nod.at
Mon Oct 20 10:16:05 PDT 2014

Am 20.10.2014 um 19:04 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Mon, 20.10.14 18:55, Richard Weinberger (richard at nod.at) wrote:

>>> Solution? For what problem precisely?
>>
>> Running systemd inside Linux container (including user namespaces). :-)

>>> I have no idea about cgroup namespaces and what they entail.
>>>
>>> systemd is quite happy already, if you follow the guidelines for
>>> container managers we put together...
>>
>> Have you ever used systemd inside a container?
>> Say, LXC or libvirt-lxc...
>
> Have you read the link I posted?

Sure, I've also been in the room in Düsseldorf while you've read it in front of us.

> Yes, I test systemd inside containers. Daily. Actually it's my primary
> way of testing systemd, since it is extremely quick and allows me to
> attach from the host with debugging tools...
>
> As long as you follow the suggestions in the document I linked systemd
> will work without modifications in container managers. At least
> libvirt-lxc and nspawn follows these suggestions, not sure about the
> other container managers.

If I read the source of nspwan correctly, it does not use user namespaces.
libvirt-lxc is currently not sure how to support systemd. So far it
bind mounts only the machine specific part of cgroups into the container.
Which is not really nice but better than exposing the whole hierarchy into
the container.
This is why I was asking for cgroup namespaces...

> Also read:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-vm-managers/
>
> We have documented this all so nicely, I can only recommend to
> actually take the time to read this. Thanks!

Thanks a lot!
//richard