[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Oct 21 01:37:25 PDT 2014

Am Sonntag, 21. September 2014, 15:31:15 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Hello!
>
> I know this is a daring post.
>
> I just have one question. In the light of
>
> http://boycottsystemd.org/
>
> http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/
>
> developing some systemd compatible services for BSD:
> http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20140915064856
>

> in the light of
>
> Debian Bug report logs - #727708
> tech-ctte: Decide which init system to default to in Debian.
> https://bugs.debian.org/727708
>

> Debian Bug report logs - #746715
> the foreseeable outcome of the TC vote on init systems
> https://bugs.debian.org/bug=746715
>

> in the light of the ongoing discussions on linux-kernel, debian-devel,
> debian- user and other mailing lists more than some dozens threads
> meanwhile:

In my long years of using Debian and also doing some packages for it in the
last years I never saw that any introduced changed caused a serious "we may
need to fork" like announcement like this:

http://debianfork.org/

Also the upcoming GR decision about whether to require that packages may not
depend on PID 1 it refers to.

I think I never saw that kind of uproar in Debian. In my view its worrying and
damaging. And I think it points at a real problem.

There is a dire problem with the acceptance of systemd in Debian (and not only
there). In Debian this is not only with users, but also with developers.

Wherever I look systemd triggers a split into "pro" and "contra". Even here at
work. I still use it, I test it, it seems to work. But I am concerned. Some
co-workers dislike it highly.