[systemd-devel] Unicode support in console after boot

Michal Sekletar msekleta at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 10:03:17 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 09:04:56AM +0200, Jan Synacek wrote:
> Michal Sekletar <msekleta at redhat.com> writes:
> > On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:36:16AM +0200, Jan Synacek wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> currently, unicode characters are not correctly displayed in the
> >> console. After login, when I run /usr/bin/unicode_start, unicode works
> >> fine. I tried to create a service file that runs this script, linking
> >> tty to stdout and stderr, but that didn't work. Is there a way how to
> >> turn on unicode support in console after boot using a service file? Or
> >> any other type of unit? Or is this something that has to be patched in
> >> the source (logind perhaps?)?
> >
> > Please try editing /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-vconsole-setup.service and
> > remove RemainAfterExit=yes, then regenerate your initramfs image by running
> > dracut command. Add back RemainAfterExit=yes to service file. Reboot.
>
> Yep, this helped. Could you please explain why? Also, I believe this
> should be fixed in all Fedora versions.

I must admit I'm not sure why this workaround works. Maybe there is some race
condition with some kernel initialization or settings get unapplied because of
switch-root.

Also, if we go with workaround in Fedora I think dracut needs to fixed to
include version on unit file *without* RemainAfterExit=yes.

Michal