[systemd-devel] v216 timers: a configuration for enterprise's needs, features requests

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Oct 22 03:00:13 PDT 2014

On Wed, 17.09.14 18:31, Daniele Medri (dmedri at gmail.com) wrote:

> Dears,
>
> testing timers on systemd v216, I've made a configuration that could be
> useful for enterprise's needs:
>
> https://github.com/dmedri/systemd-enterprise-timers
>
> The following ideas could be useful for the editing job.
>
> FEATURES REQUESTS
>
> 1. in /src/shared/calendarspec.c, calendar_spec_from_string(...), add new
> cases for:
> - "minutely" (OnCalendar=*:0/1:00)
> - "quarterly" (OnCalendar=01,04,07,10-01)
> - "semesterly" (OnCalendar=01,07-01)

Are these proper english words? Not oppposed to adding these though.

Can you submit this as patches? Maybe rename "semesterly" →
"semianually"? Or "biannually"?

"quarterly" appears to be correct english. Not sure about "minutely"
though, any native speakers have suggestions?

> 2. add an utils to check OnCalendar= syntax.
>
> What should expect an user from the utility of point 2.?
> - print a list of timestamps from a syntax expression (like the "NEXT"
> field in systemctl list-timers --all)
> - introduce a human readable string for syntax expressions (eg. "hourly" ->
> "Every hour.") that we could translate in different languages and share
> with desktop applications (eg. for backup, to send email, ...).

This sounds like something we could merge upstream, but I'd really
prefer to add it to "systemd-analyze" instead of
"systemctl". "systemd-analyze" is something where all
debugging/testing tools are placed so far.

Any chance you can rework this and submit?

Thanks,