[systemd-devel] systemd-cron: retrigger generator after /var is mounted

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 03:26:49 PDT 2014

On 10/22/2014 09:44 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> So, I thought myself a couple of times about adding a cron generator
> upstream

As far as I can tell generators serve only one purpose and that is to
bridge an gap to allow users of consumers of systemd to migrate to it's
native format hence I thought  that we would only support one native
systemd format hence generator for distro-specific or alternative
components ( be it cron, be it ifcfg files etc ) to what we provide
would be created and handled by downstream or whomever else requires it.

Or to put this differently we will not create. come up with, ship ( and
thus support those ) generators but expect consumers of systemd to use
systemd and it's format natively in their environment.

Alexandre why did you decide to write that generate to begin with?

Why not migrate what needs to be migrated to native system timer formats
for those relevant component and leave the rest be handled by the
traditional cron daemons since those two components complement each
others shortcomings ?

JBG