[systemd-devel] systemd-cron: retrigger generator after /var is mounted

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 05:32:33 PDT 2014

On 10/22/2014 11:51 AM, Alexandre Detiste wrote:
>> Why not migrate what needs to be migrated to native system timer formats
> This would be the responsability of each individual package manager;
> after some policy would have mandated it and it's too late before the release freeze.
> Debian only ships exaclty one timer now: systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer
>
> This may evolve next year after Jessie is released.
>
> I would then adapt systemd-cron not to process/etc/cron.d/$(package)
> if (/usr)/lib/systemd/system/$(package).timer exists .
>
> I'll asks what the others downstreams (Arch...) think of it;
> if it might already be implented that way.

In Fedora we had 100 components that shipped cron jobs of some short,
out of those, 50 components depend on systemd and then there was further
filter due to things not being "legacy" and no longer used or simply not
beneficial to be migrated ( It would just cause administrative nuance in
doing so and those 50 jobs or so would have been less for every distro
to worry about but I got fedup with how things where handled so I
abandoned that feature of mine after correcting the dependence of those
50 components that would definitely not be migrated ) so as I say you
should easily be able to migrate that stuff since I dont expect Debian
shipping much more than that and well before Jessie gets released,
especially now since Ian seems to be keen on misusing the GR process (
and delay the release even further as an result of that ) to hinder the
adoption of systemd in the project.

Dont hesitate to be in contact if you need help with that since these
kind of migration/integration work in distributions with systemd is
beneficial to *all* so it does not take many resources from systemd
community from every distro to lend a hand and help with that migration.
It just requires a bit of organizing and packagers ( in all distros ) to
be on stand by when that happens and it will be quickly over.

JBG