[systemd-devel] How soon after login can I rely on systemd --user having reached sockets.target?

Damien Robert damien.olivier.robert at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 07:06:59 PDT 2014

>From Lennart Poettering, Thu 23 Oct 2014 at 14:01:22 (+0200) :
> Oh indeed, there is not sysinit.target. It sounded so wron in a user
> context... I figure if people want to stick something in there they
> can just as well use basic.target here...
>
> > But I was arguing that basic.target has a well defined meaning (basic
> > system wide/user wide system initialisation), and we may want to allow
> > default.target (in a user session) to be different from basic.target, even
> > if they should be the same for most user cases.
>
> sure, that sounds like something to support. i'd still say though that
> pam_systemd should only wait for basic.target, since that's where all
> the "listening" bits should be established, and everything else can be
> started later.

Yes but maybe the user wants something even more minimal than basic.target.
For instance if I run under a cron, maybe I don't want my timers to be
launched. I was thinking of using a default.target with
DefaultDependencies=false, so it does not even pull basic.target; not
something that launch more things than basic.target.

--
Damien Robert
http://www.normalesup.org/~robert/pro