[systemd-devel] Systemd-networkd -- Cannot acquire DHCP lease on bridge interface

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Thu Oct 23 07:15:14 PDT 2014

Hi Tom,

>>> Yeah, it seems this is what we should do. I guess it makes sense to
>>> make RequestBroadcast=yes|no|automatic, and default to the latter.
>>
>> Please name it "auto", not "automatic"...
>>
>> Please make the time short enough though to still give a nice
>> feeling...
>>
>> I figure the reverse of first trying broadcast, and then trying
>> unicast is unnecessary, right?
>
> Yeah, I don't think it makes sense to expose this implementation
> detail. The preference should be for unicast if we don't know any
> better, as that causes slightly less network traffic, so I think we
> should do a couple of unicasts only before starting to do both, but
> that's not anything the user should care about.

if we have a test case that lets us test this easily, someone might want to test the latest ConnMan and see if it does this correctly. Since there we are doing the automatic fallback already.

On a side note, once figured out what works, print a nice warning so admins can decide if they want to change the setting permanently to a different default.

Regards

Marcel