[systemd-devel] Journal, rotation and loglevels

D.S. Ljungmark spider at aanstoot.se
Thu Oct 23 08:19:28 PDT 2014

On 23/10/14 16:50, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 23.10.14 15:27, D.S. Ljungmark (spider at aanstoot.se) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>   we have a few services that are spamming a fair bit on DEBUG level of
>> log output. In syslog, we'd separate the DEBUG logs from the main log,
>> and set the rotation of DEBUG+ to be ~24 hours, while keeping INFO and
>> above for ~4 weeks.
>>
>> How can we do something similar with Journald?
>
> No, currenty you cannot. You can turn off storage from a certain log
> level on (MaxLevelStore=), but you cannot change the retention time
> per log level yet.

So if we set MaxLevelStore=INFO, we won't get the journal on disk
stored. How much is stored in memory and how do you control that amount?

Right now, we don't store anything to disk ( no persistent disk in the
system ) and why we're asking is that our DEBUG logs flushed the errors
& warnings from last night, and we have no idea what actually went
wrong.   Before this, we were storing things (syslogd) but after
migrating to journald, we didn't figure out how to get them saved
properly, so it's been punted onto the very long TODO list by us as well.

Can I get a journal of ~50M (compressed?) stored on disk with Info and
above levels, and then another 50M of debug+above in RAM?

> Also see this thread:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-October/024348.html

Thanks, seems I'm echoing the feature requests here.

//D.S.

--
8362 CB14 98AD 11EF CEB6  FA81 FCC3 7674 449E 3CFC