[systemd-devel] Unicode support in console after boot

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 09:01:00 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Ivan Shapovalov <intelfx100 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Yep, this helped. Could you please explain why? Also, I believe this
>> > should be fixed in all Fedora versions.
>
> IIUC, this makes unit to be re-run outside of initramfs, so the VT is set up twice,
> second time after switching the framebuffer driver.
>
> And the latter condition is not mandated by anything, it's just a coincidence...
So I got pinged this morning about a similar systemd-vconsole-setup
issue. Namely, setting the font in vconsole.conf to a big font like
latarcyrheb-sun32 or so (for hidpi screens) doesn't work.  After some
digging, we figured out it's the same sort of problem.
systemd-vconsole-setup gets run when vgacon is running (and fails
since vgacon doesn't support glyphs that big).  Then when fbcon is
loaded from the modesetting driver, it just gets the default font.

I think we need to rerun systemd-vconsole-setup when the fbcon device
comes available. I don't think the above proposal is "right".  One
idea would be to add

, RUN+="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-vconsole-setup"

to the end of the SUBSYSTEM="graphics" line in 71-seat.rules in udev.
I'm not sure if that's exactly the best fix either though.  Kay, what
do you think?

--Ray