[systemd-devel] rpcbind static, want enabled

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx100 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 14:46:25 PDT 2014

On Thursday 23 October 2014 at 16:19:28, Felix Miata wrote:

[cut]

> Those are not things I know how or wish to pursue. I found a workaround, no thanks
> to the systemctl 216-10.fc22 man page, which says:
>
> 	"enable NAME...
>
>     Enable one or more unit files or unit file instances, as specified on the command line...."
>
> That's invalid WRT rpcbind. In order to enable rpcbind I found the following
> produces satisfactory results:
>
> 	systemctl add-wants multi-user.target rpcbind
>
> The question remains how and why 13 of 26 (I miscounted in my original thread post)
> installations were set to static instead of enabled in the first place, and whether
> the workaround amounts to an optimal solution.

Because rpcbind.service is designed by the upstream to be "static", not "enabled".
It is designed to be socket-activatable and so it should not be "enabled" in the
sense of "unconditionally started on boot". The man-page isn't wrong or invalid.

What you are experiencing seems to be a bug in rpcbind and/or statd, and what you
have done is a workaround. If you have done this, then you should also disable
rpcbind.socket and make sure everything that needs rpcbind is ordered after
rpcbind.service.

--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /