[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 27 15:25:56 PDT 2014

> From: "Lennart Poettering" <lennart at poettering.net>
>
> Please, let's discuss this elsewhere. Let's keep a strict technical
> focus on this ML!

I believe that you mean that outsiders are welcome here to provide
assistance to systemd as it has already been implemented.  One
difficulty is that outsiders are usually not able to provide such
assistance.

It would be useful if there was a mailing list where outsiders could
come with problems -- "systemd does not implement what I need as it is
provided by the distro".  I would expect such a mailing list to be
named "systemd-users".  But no such list seems to exist.  (And thus,
they show up in systemd-devel.)

This leaves users with the sense that they are expected to use systemd
as it is provided, and it makes it hard for them to customize systems
that do what they need.  This reminds them of Microsoft products and
makes them unhappy.

Dale