[systemd-devel] Suppressing automounting

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 04:54:03 PDT 2014

On 04/09/14 23:32, Dale R. Worley wrote:
> I admit that I haven't studied systemd enough to understand the
> significance of WantedBy.  My understanding is that systemd performs a
> series of units, with dependencies showing which units must finish
> before other units start.

Sort of. It has a goal (usually graphical.target or multi-user.target),
and achieves that goal by starting everything that that goal Requires or
Wants, recursively. While trying to achieve that goal, it uses
Before/After dependencies to get the "A must finish startup before B can
start" sequence.

> Or is "boot"
> the name of the mountpoint, and "boot.mount" only represents the work
> for mounting /dev/sd1 as /boot?

This. The root filesystem is -.mount, a separate /var would be
var.mount, a separate /var/cache would be var-cache.mount and so on.

> In my "Store.mount" file, I see no indication of an executable which
> implements the unit.

I think it's always mount(8), which has its own extension mechanism to
dispatch per-filesystem if necessary (e.g. mount.cifs).