[systemd-devel] instantiated services set up

Jan Včelák jan.vcelak at nic.cz
Mon Sep 15 04:03:16 PDT 2014

> After=syslog.target is redundant since a long time. Consider removing
> this. And After=network.target usually doesn't do what one might thing
> it does and with well written software that listens to rtnl or uses
> IP_FREEBIND not even necessary...

OK. I will remove the syslog. But I will have to keep network.target for now
as we support non-Linux systems as well. Adding support for rtnl or
IP_FREEBIND would mean duplicating a lot of code... probably.

> > 1.) Is it valid to ship both knot.service and knot at .service file?
>
> Sure, but for the sake of simplicity and not confusing the user I would
> avoid this.
>
> I'd just ship the templated version, and then maybe add
> DefaultInstance=something to the [Install] section in order to make one
> instance the "default" one...

DefaultInstance sounds great. Will this get backported into systemd-stable at
some time? Because I'm looking for a solution for RHEL 7.

> > 2.) Is there a way to make knot.service and knot at .service units to
> > conflict in a way that if one of these is running, the other will fail to
> > start?
> >
> > I tried adding Conflicts=knot.service to Unit section of knot at .service,
> > which makes the conflicting service to stop silently. That is fine, but
> > may be confusing for the user. I would rather see systemctl to fail with
> > an error message. Is that possible?
>
> Hmm, we currently don't support any dependency type like this. And I am
> very conservative about adding new dep types, unless we have a very
> strong reason for it...

Fine. This is not that important.

> > 3.) In case of multiple instances, is there a way to control them all at
> > once?
> >

> Use PartOf= for this...

OK. Thanks. I will take a look at it!

Jan