[systemd-devel] Prioritize the /etc configuration over /usr/lib also with .include

Pavel Raiskup praiskup at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 10:48:26 PDT 2014

On Tuesday 16 of September 2014 16:42:32 Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> On 09/16/2014 01:16 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > This would change the way that drop-ins work. Your model is not
> > necessarily worse, but dropins have been the advertised way to do
> > overiddes for a while, and we cannot simply revert the order in which
> > they are applied. At least not without a very good reason which would
> > make it worth to upset existing users.
>
> The problem which was pretty obvious was going to happen when dropins
> got added and now is causing confusion and even breakage

No confusion on my site, I believe.  Nor brakage - only avoiding future
breakages.  I'm just thinking about doing something better than it is done
now, tbh.  To not confuse you, I am just (a) trying to get rid of .include
statement we supported so far and (b) start using drop-ins, but (c) stay
compatible with .include as users are already using that.  And as (d) I
try to incorporate the nice additional @ unit syntax the cleanest way :).
And I try to be constructive - so letting you know.

> ( think mix match of combinations of ways to overwrite ) is that we need
> to reduce the means you can overwrite existing unit files to one and
> deprecate the other ones.

Deprecation is fine, though ..

> Bottom line we should only have one way to do things to keep things
> simple not three not five not fifty.

.. that sounds like something against InterfaceStabilityPromise in this
context.  And it is definitely not something any of us wants.

Pavel