[systemd-devel] Prioritize the /etc configuration over /usr/lib also with .include

Pavel Raiskup praiskup at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 04:40:11 PDT 2014

On Wednesday 17 of September 2014 11:50:08 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 08:52:00AM +0200, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> > Thanks, I agree, and yet another rule on top of that -- the /usr/lib
> > dropins _are ignored_ if /etc service overriding the one in /usr/lib
> > exists [1] which seems like it is expected (and I appreciate that
> > behavior).
>
> Sorry, but the .include mechanism is deprecated (and almost unused
> nowadays)

Note that the thing that .include changed its semantics due to drop-in
feature is not really proper deprecation.  Nor any documentation, warnings
about its usage, etc.

> and we are not going to work on changing the semantics of something that
> we don't want people to use anyway.

TBH, I'm not sure where I asked you to work on something, just wanted to
do some high-level discussion.  But it does not matter.

The question was left behind: What would get broken if the .include
haven't this unexpected side-efect?

Pavel