[systemd-devel] Systemd-nspawn -- Unable to initialize virtual ethernet connection

James Lott james at lottspot.com
Fri Sep 19 09:37:26 PDT 2014

Hello!

I am trying to setup and play around with some of the private networking
features of systemd, and one of the big thinks I'm trying to get working is
the virtual ethernet links. For some reason though, I am unable to start a
containder using a virtual ethernet link. My attempt is included below.

---------------------------------------
[root at utility01 ~]# systemd-nspawn --network-veth -bD /home/proxy.ddwrt01
Spawning container proxy.ddwrt01 on /home/proxy.ddwrt01.
Press ^] three times within 1s to kill container.
Failed to add netlink interface name: Invalid argument
---------------------------------------

Dropping the --network-veth option:

---------------------------------------
[root at utility01 ~]# systemd-nspawn -bD /home/proxy.ddwrt01
Spawning container proxy.ddwrt01 on /home/proxy.ddwrt01.
Press ^] three times within 1s to kill container.
systemd 216 running in system mode. (+PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA -APPARMOR
+SMACK -SYSVINIT +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ -LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID
-ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN )
Detected virtualization 'systemd-nspawn'.
Detected architecture 'arm'.

Welcome to Arch Linux ARM!
---------------------------------------

Some additional environment information:

[root at utility01 ~]# uname -a
Linux utility01 3.12.26-2-ARCH #1 PREEMPT Sun Aug 31 22:36:40 MDT 2014 armv6l
GNU/Linux
[root at utility01 ~]# pacman -Q systemd
systemd 216-3

I'm happy to run any additional tests or provide any additional information
needed to help try to reproduce. Thanks in advance for any help!

--
James Lott