[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 22 02:23:23 PDT 2014

Am 22.09.2014 um 01:48 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> The reason for increased log entries in the journal is that more things
> are happening now since this is what happening when a job is run.

that don't change the fact that a user not acting as
systemd-developer and not debugging his system don't
need that flood

you need to distinct between users and developers
users want to have *abnormal* things logged and
not burried inside noise

> Those that have cron job that send email that notifies every time that it ran ( to know it ran ) and those that do
> not send an email unless the job it was running failed and rely on logwatch to inform them if the cron job ran or not.
>>
>>> If you dont like it filter it and retrieve only the information you want/need with journalctl
>> if they would have a prefix i would filter them to nowhere in rsyslog
>>
>> please understand that not everybody is using journalctl
>
> Well this is upstream that ships nothing but journalctl whether they use it or not

then add at least *prefixes* to write filter rules
what you say is "we don't ship nothing but" and "we don't care about nothing but"

that is the reason for the polarity "we are upstream and don't care"
just give "journald.conf" a verbosity option and all are happy

honestly the messages about "reaching target" are nonsense without
a prefix pointing out that it is about a *user session* because it
looks like a bootlog every minute

Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Starting Paths.
Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Reached target Paths.
Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Starting Timers.
Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Reached target Timers.
Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Starting Sockets.
Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Reached target Sockets.
Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Starting Basic System.
Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Reached target Basic System.
Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Starting Default.
Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Reached target Default.
Mar  4 13:01:01 rawhide systemd[1559]: Startup finished in 9ms.