[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 23 07:44:51 PDT 2014

Let me offer this as a suggestion of what might be the root of some
issues:

One of the lessons in Fred Brooks' "The Mythical Man-Month" is that it
takes three times more effort to produce a *program product* as it
does to produce the *program*.  That is, 2/3 of the effort is not to
make the software do what it is supposed to, but rather to adjust the
software to work in the (software and human) environment that it must
work in, interacting with customers, etc.

It might be worth examining the project and asking whether the
non-software part of the work has been carried out with the same care
as the software part of the work.

Dale