[systemd-devel] 2nd X session manager

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 00:53:25 PDT 2014

Hi

(please put the mailing-list on CC; or use "Reply-All")

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Thomas Antony <thomas at antony.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> This depends on the session-manager you use.. but as a heads-up: most
>> session-managers only allow a single instance per seat (which makes
>> sense..).
>

> I have installed Gnome and gdm.
>
> I'm using the Gnome autologon feature and starting automatically an
> application after logon which should not get closed.
> So i thought i could start an additional X session manager on vt2 and logon
> to this one with a different user.

So how this should work is gdm start on VT1, the auto-login session on
VT2 and if you want to login again, you switch to gdm and start a new
login. I don't think you can run gdm multiple times, and I'm also not
sure how to tell gdm to start new sessions on new VTs. Yeah, a lot of
things I don't know.. but that's really questions you should ask Gnome
and GDM people, not us. Sorry!

Thanks
David