[systemd-devel] Synchronization Between Services at Shutdown

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 2 13:28:39 PDT 2015

Hello,

Dan Williams [2015-04-02  9:51 -0500]:
> On Thu, 2015-04-02 at 16:31 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > wpa_supplicant and NM already have Before=network.target which is even
> > stronger. But that doesn't help -- it's D-Bus which we need to leave
> > running longer, as dbus going down early tears down all dbus clients as well
> > prematurely, thus rendering the above dependencies useless.
>
> At least on the NM side, NM shouldn't be doing anything when dbus-daemon
> exits, except logging something and trying to reconnect.

Ah, that's correct. It complains a lot, but indeed our bug reporters
say that everything works fine with ethernet on shutdown. The remote
fs specific problems are due to wpasupplicant going down early with
dbus instead of at the (much later) time when we intend it to go down.
Avahi, libvirt etc. are more "typical" dbus services which go down
when the system dbus does, and do cause trouble.

Martin