[systemd-devel] auto-unmount via BindsTo= is annoying

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 11:19:24 PDT 2015

Previously udev used to undo mounts when a device *disappeared;* when
systemd took over the task, it started unmounting things as soon as it
noticed that the device *doesn't exist right now.* While similar, the new
behavior can be annoying, since it also triggers if the device never
existed in the first place. For example:

~ My fstab has "/dev/mapper/luks-backups → /mnt/backup". I want to mount
another disk there (which has a different label), but even though `mount
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup` succeeds, the directory remains empty and won't show
up in `findmnt`.

After a few retries I check dmesg and notice systemd saying that
"mnt-backup.mount is bound to an inactive device; stopping". Which means,
if my fstab says disk X is mounted there, systemd won't let me mount
anything else but disk X at that location.

~ I had to boot to emergency mode due to reasons, and attempted to mount
/boot & /boot/efi in order to fix something. Since my fstab had
"/dev/disk/by-partlabel/boot → /boot", any attempts to mount anything at
/boot get immediately undone – emergency mode has no udev, so I get
"boot.mount is bound to an inactive device; stopping" all over again.

So I need to either use a different mount path, or manually start
udevd.service and run `udevadm trigger`. (Which, by the way, also fsck's
and mounts everything else from my fstab – which I was kinda hoping to
avoid, with fsckd being broken and all that.)

~ Ah, yeah, and if dbus isn't running, systemctl spews out this:

Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Could not connect:

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>