[systemd-devel] systemd unit checker tool

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 7 07:49:19 PDT 2015

On Tue, 07.04.15 16:35, Przemyslaw Kedzierski (p.kedzierski at samsung.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We started work on a tool dedicated to check systemd unit files.
> Its main purpose will be to parse all or a subset of them, look for
> common errors, suboptimal designs.
> It will also check single unit file separately or sets of them
> referencing one another (for example cycles).

Note that "systemd-analyze verify" already checks unit files for
correctness. It

> We need some help. Could you please describe types of mistakes
>  that are common, harmful and annoying?

Often seen mistakes:

- An early-boot service (DefaultDependencies=no) that orders itself
  after later boot services

- Services referencing syslog.target

- Late-boot services referencing local-fs.target

- Services that needlessly specify StandardError=journal
  (or even StandardError=syslog) (the former is now the default)

We probably should add chekcs for these to "systemd-analyze verify"
even...