[systemd-devel] recent udev dependency change delays plymouth and udev

Dimitri John Ledkov dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com
Tue Apr 7 18:10:45 PDT 2015

On 2 April 2015 at 00:39, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The recent commit
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=d99ce933 (which
> also made it into v219-stable at
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd-stable/commit/?h=v219-stable&id=b238b0eaf71)
> fixed a typo in udevd's dependencies, which now results in udev
> waiting for systemd-hwdb-update.service.
>
> While this is certainly "correct" especially for stateless systems, it
> is quite a bit inconvenient as it now causes a long dependency chain:
>
> plymouth-start.service → systemd-udevd.service → systemd-hwdb-update.service →
> systemd-remount-fs.service → systemd-fsck-root.service → systemd-fsckd.socket

I dislike building hwdb on boot, thus locally I make sure that update
mechanisms have up to date @udevlibexecdir@/hwdb.bin and thus
systemd-hwdb-update.service is not run.

If triggers rebuild the database, shouldn't the update-process /
conditions be modified such that the database is not rebuild on boot?

--
Regards,

Dimitri.

https://clearlinux.org
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ.