[systemd-devel] Question about relationship between systemd v219 and kernel version.

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Apr 8 02:05:46 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 08:59:40AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> On 04/08/2015 06:53 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> >"all"?  Ubuntu ships newer kernels than 3.4, if not, please take it up
> >with that vendor, it's not the community's job to support obsolete,
> >years-old software that everyone has moved on from a long time ago for
> >very good reasons.
>
> Hmm there has to be some fundamental reason why vendors keep sticking with
> old out date kernels and cant move or be nudged forwardwith the rest of the
> world by the community and it's processes  which begs the question if the
> LTSI process flawed or simply not working which might be due to...
>
> Too many long term kernel releases in circulations?

Hah, no, companies keep wanting me to do more releases, to do their work
for them for free:(

> The lifecycle of the long term kernel releases?

2 years isn't long enough for something that is given to them "for
free"?  If not, then please pay an engineer to do the work.

> Too many invasive changes between kernel release?

No.

> Too many regressions between kernel release?

Nope.

The real reason is embedded companies not getting their patches
upstream, so it's their fault it is a lot of work to move to new kernel
releases.  For companies that do get their work merge, moving to a new
kernel is a trivial exercise.

> Bidirectional communication between vendors and the kernel community ( which
> might prevent the necessary adjustment to long term kernel/LTSi etc. )

Am I really not talking to enough people / companies?  If not, please
let me know who I should be talking to.  A week doesn't go by that I'm
not in contact with some company about this topic, I'm not working blind
here at all.

thanks,

greg k-h