[systemd-devel] fsckd needs to go

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 8 03:27:14 PDT 2015

On Wed, 08.04.15 10:46, Martin Pitt (martin.pitt at ubuntu.com) wrote:

> Reindl Harald [2015-04-08 10:32 +0200]:
> > nobody needs to ability to cancel a fsck because hardly anybody has a
> > insight if the moment doing so is horrible dangerous and givne that fsck
> > don't run for fun why would you want to interrupt it and risk data loss?
>
> You don't risk data loss by interrupting a routine check (that still
> happens on ext[234] every so often).

Well, the routine check is only done by Ubuntu/Debian, it is not
enabled on any enterprise distro or on Fedora. Maybe Ubuntu/Debian
should also turn this off?

Note that the routine check is not different than a normal check
really, it just is triggered by a mount counter instead of a dirty
flag, that's all. Hence it makes little difference what you cancel,
both is dangerous, and a bad idea to allow unauthenticated.

Also, to my knowledge plymouth on Ubuntu never showed a different UI
for both cases, did it? How is the admin supposed to know when it is
just dangerous to cancel the fsck (in your "routine" check case), and
when it is extra dangerous (in the non-"routine" check case)?

Maybe the right fix for Ubuntu is to stop enabling the "routine" check
logic?