[systemd-devel] fsckd needs to go -- possible compromise?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 8 07:18:53 PDT 2015

Hello all,

Lennart Poettering [2015-04-07 16:14 +0200]:
> Well, the asnc IO socket handling thing was not dealt with. The newest
> patches still use fgets().
> [...]
> The killer issue really is the safety issue. We shouldn't include
> code in systemd that makes dangerous things like killing running
> fscks an easily accessible operation, that has a graphical UI and
> requires no authentication.

So, would you reconsider your position if we address the two things
above? I. e. replace fgets() by our own async buffering, and entirely
remove the cancel support? Then we'd still get a proper feedback
during boot instead of leaving the user in the dark why booting is
stuck, but it stays noninteractive.

Thanks,

Martin