[systemd-devel] networkd: Is auto-negotiation turned off when specifying parameters in a link file?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 8 14:05:31 PDT 2015

On Wed, 08.04.15 22:13, Paul Menzel (paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:

> > Wouldn't it suffice to unplug the ethernet cable, then use ethtool to
> > turn this on, then replug it, and measuring the time until networkd
> > notices the link beat is back?
>
> It would. But this is a rented Hetzner server and I have no access to
> the data center. Do you have another idea. Please keep in mind that I
> also only have remote access using that NIC. ;-)

Then, I figure a udev rule should do. Something like this (untested:)

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", KERNEL!="lo", RUN+="/usr/bin/ethtool $name ..."

Replace the "..." of course with the ethool options you need.

This would then be run immediately when the device appears. If this
makes a measurable difference, then let us know.