[systemd-devel] Boot ordering

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Apr 9 02:18:02 PDT 2015

On Wed, 18.03.15 17:10, Christoph Pleger (Christoph.Pleger at cs.tu-dortmund.de) wrote:

Warming up this old thread...

> Why does systemd not follow the above instructions to start the services
> of test.target after those of basic.target and before those of
> multi-user.target?

I figure this trhead already explaiend why this doesn't work as you
suggest. I just wanted to add what I think si the best option to do
what you want:

make your service an early boot service (by specifying
DefaultDependencies=no), then order it before basic.target. Then,
order it after the precise units you need from early boot, or, if you
really think you need all of them, order your unit after
sysinit.target, local-fs.target and possibly sockets.target,
paths.target, slices.target.

That way you will run after whatever you pick from the basic system
initialization, but before the first normal services are run.