[systemd-devel] How to set primary slave in active-backup mode (bonding)

Mikhail Morfikov mmorfikov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 07:29:24 PDT 2015

I usually have two network interfaces on my laptops (one eth and one
wlan), and when I was using sysvinit I also was configuring the bond
interface via the /etc/network/interfaces file so the two interfaces
could work in the active-backup mode. But now, they work in balance-rr
mode which is set via the .netdev file. The problem with this mode is
that when you have, let's say wifi 30mbit/s and wired 100mbit/s, you
can get 60mbit/s max, and that's why I wanted to use the active-backup
mode which switches from wire to wifi and vice versa depending on
whether the ethernet cable is plugged in. Generally speaking, I have to
set some additional parameters so this could work well, and that would
be:

bond-primary eth1
bond-primary-reselect always
bond-slaves eth1 wlan0
bond-fail-over-mac none

I'm not sure if all of them are necessary, and the question is how to
pass these parameters in systemd? I'm asking because in the
systemd.netdev manual, in the bond section, these options weren't
specified.