[systemd-devel] issuing 'reboot' command does not print the familiar 'Restarting system.' message

Ani Sinha ani at arista.com
Thu Apr 9 19:18:23 PDT 2015

> On Apr 9, 2015, at 6:42 PM, Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez at opensuse.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Ani Sinha <ani at arista.com> wrote:
>> Hi Systemd devs :
>>
>> We have some scripts that depend on the kernel printing "Restarting
>> system." when a "reboot" command is issued on the console.
>
> You should not make your scripts depend on the elog messages generated
> by the kernel or systemctl, only on the return value of the commands,
> system call results  ..

OK I have one more question. Does every call path in the reboot command use the Linux reboot() sys call? I'm not familiar with dbus stuff but looking at the code seems to indicate that there might be some paths where reboot() is not issued. Just wanted to run by you guys since you guys know the code best.