[systemd-devel] sd_event_run

Shawn Landden shawnlandden at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 18:01:48 PDT 2015

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> [...]
How about SD_EVENT_STALE? Stale things are distasteful unless they are
freshened up.

>> I found it weird to name this INITIAL (or "INIT" or something like
>> that) since we would return to it every single iteration... For me
>> "init" kinda implies it's something "fresh", "unused", and hence not
>> really something we routinely come back to...
> In a sense it is "fresh" and "unused", because the state after doing
> an interation of the loop is exactly the same as if the loop never run.
> (E.g. I don't think it would be wrong to say "I cleaned the couch and
> restored it to its initial state", even though it obviously has been used.)
>
> "Passive" was confusing, so "initial", even if imperfect, seems an
> improvement. We really want to say "the state in which you started",
> without implying whether we have been there the whole time or not.
> I don't know if there's a better word.

>> I called this "prepared" since it what's _prepare() is supposed to get
>> into...
>>
>> But ARMED is fine too...
>
> We really should get some native speakers to help out with this :)
>
> Maybe sd_event_prepare should be renamed to sd_event_arm?
Armed is much better because it fits the analogy that events *fire*,
after which they are pending. Without reading the header I would think
_prepare() is the same as _new().

> Zbyszek

Liberty equality fraternity or death,

Shawn Landden