[systemd-devel] sshd.service fails on boot when primary listener is a bridge (br0) instead of real interface (eth0). What dependency is needed?

lyndat3 at your-mail.com lyndat3 at your-mail.com
Sun Apr 12 12:35:33 PDT 2015

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015, at 12:25 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Seems to me that there should be *some* real check for the 'up'
> > state of the bridge, not just "waiting long enough" and hoping.
>
> Well, I mean, the entire logic of delaying the boot for external
> conditions is already pretty wrong. If you want to fix this, then
> make sure sshd doesn't need the network to be up to start up (for
> example by using socket activation, or by using IP_FREEBIND).
>
> But I mean, what you are asking for is basically delaying boot
> completion indefinitely. I doubt that that'd be a good mechanism to
> have...

I don't think so.  Or at least that's not my intention, or my need.

Let me try to resimplify.

sshd.service starts fine on boot when using ethX, and fails when using br0.

Specifically, sshd listens on IP = 192.168.1.1

If interface:IP = eno1:192.168.1.1, then it's all good.

But, if interface:IP = br0(attached to eno1):192.168.1.1, then there's a fail of sshd.service on boot.

There's lots of comments online about bridges being 'different' than physical ethernet interfaces -- some were yours, IIRC.

No problem that they're different.

I just want sshd.service to start correctly when listening on a bridge interface IP.

I'm completely open on how to get there.  THe only thing I can think of so far is adding whatever the right dependency is.  If there's a better method, I'm all ears.

> Yes, sorry for the typos!

whew! :-)