[systemd-devel] SD_BUS_VTABLE_CAPABILITY

Andy Lutomirski luto at amacapital.net
Wed Apr 15 17:55:59 PDT 2015

Hi all-

Yesterday, I discovered SD_BUS_VTABLE_CAPABILITY.  Are there any
examples in which it does anything?  If so, I don't suppose any of you
could give me an example of:

$ cp `which dbus-send` .
$ sudo setcap all=eip dbus-send
$ dbus-send [not sure what goes here]

that passes an authentication test that would have failed without the setcap?

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm asking because I think that
one of two things is true:

1. The SD_BUS_VTABLE_CAPABILITY code is useless and should therefore be deleted.

2. The SD_BUS_VTABLE_CAPABILITY code is exploitably buggy and should
therefore be deleted.

I can't tell which one, since I haven't figured out how to test it
realistically in the first place.  Most of the protected calls seem to
be heavily restricted by dbus policy.

--Andy