[systemd-devel] Adopt processes spawned before /lib/systemd/systemd takes over as PID 1?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 20 07:07:15 PDT 2015

On Fri, 17.04.15 22:29, Matt Hoosier (matt.hoosier at gmail.com) wrote:

> Thanks, I hadn't found that presentation before. My board is essentially a
> Panda ES, with gigabytes of RAM.
>
> A small point of clarification: when I say that systemd takes 1.5 seconds,
> I'm referring to the time that elapses between the moment that
> /lib/systemd/systemd is exec'ed and the time that the first unit is shown
> in the 'systemd-analyze plot'. I haven't done an internal profile on the
> systemd binary to see what might be happening during that window
> yet.

Well, the plot should also show what we spend the time on: running
generators, loading/parsing unit files, loading selinux and things
like that.

Any chance you can figureout what precisely this time is spent on?

"systemctl show -a" will also show you various timestamps over the
early boot process.

1.5s sounds like quite a bit, even for weaker processes. I think it
might be worth eliminating this away before resorting to hacks around
using systemd for actually starting things...