[systemd-devel] systemd and process migration

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 07:43:13 PDT 2015

> On Mon, 20.04.15 14:33, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> On 04/20/2015 01:58 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>> systemd has no provisions for anything like this and I have doubts it
>>> really should have. I mean, normal programs retain ccess to the cgroup
>>> tree, so you could readd whatever you restore back in the cgroups, but
>>> that's hardly sufficient to make systemd aware of a process like this
>>> properly.
>> Arguably systemd should have this functionality ( along with quite few
>> others like HA etc ) built in ( not using CRIU ) since you want to live
>> migrate at least native containers between hosts.
>>
>> I thought fancy enterprise features like this was on hold until networkd was
>> "ready" ?
> This is not an enterprise feature. It's a promise one cannot keep. We
> will not add code to systemd that works often but not always, and CRIU
> is certainly of that kind.

"We will not add code to systemd that works often but not always" you
need to explain this a bit further since we might have different
perception on this since from my perception such code has been added to
systemd in more then one occasion anyway I was not advocating for the
use/inclusion of CRIU but something built in.

We should be able to support non live migration out of the box if live
migration is a pandora's box or are you opposed to that as well?

JBG