[systemd-devel] [RFC] core: introduce ExitOnIdle= and ExitOnIdleSec=

David Timothy Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Tue Apr 21 15:12:54 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 12:26 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> So I see no use case for idle timer based cleanup. Can you please
> explain why they are better than on-demand cleanup?

We do it on Pantheon's infrastructure because many daemons have a
resource footprint that is more than just allocated memory, like
waking themselves up for cache cleanup or inefficient polling on
sockets. We shut down socket-activated applications after an hour of
idle time, and it dramatically frees up server resources for active
daemons.