[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn trouble

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 06:19:13 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Tobias Hunger <tobias.hunger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Lennart,
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>>> I was trying to run "systemd-nspawn --ephemeral", but that failed
>>> since I had a read-only image in /var/lib/machines. Why is that not
>>> allowed? systemd-nspawn does create its own snapshot of that one after
>>> all (which can be read-write). Why does the base image have to be
>>> read-write, too?
>>
>> Hmm? This shouldn't fail. What's the precise error message you get?
>
> It complains about a read-only filesystem when trying to bind-mount
> some directories into the machine.

Sorry, I forgot to attach the exact error message:

Apr 22 15:13:18 server systemd-nspawn[1804]: Failed to create mount
point /var/lib/machines/.#vmbdd461661453a1b8/mnt/ftp: Read-only file
system

Looking at the code I do not see why that subvolume should be
read-only. Maybe it inherits the read-only from the one it is a
snapshot off?

Best Regards,
Tobias