[systemd-devel] man systemd.network question

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:35:13 PDT 2015

Hello!

The man page reads:

[MATCH] SECTION OPTIONS
       The network file contains a "[Match]" section, which determines if a
       given network file may be applied to a given device; and a
       "[Network]" section specifying how the device should be configured.
       The first (in lexical order) of the network files that matches a
       given device is applied.

What does this exactly mean? Will it process further files or stop
processing files after a match?

Usually, my experience with unix says, that when files are processed in
lexical order, settings from earlier files are overridden by settings from
later files - like e.g. in /etc/env.d

In that sense, it can only mean that the processing stops at the first
matching files. Otherwise the order of overriding would be reversed from
expectations.

I think this should be made more clear in the man page, like by "The
processing of files stops at the first match." This would follow example of
how other projects document behaviour.

--
Replies to list only preferred.