[systemd-devel] Failed at step RUNTIME_DIRECTORY spawning /usr/bin/true: File exists

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Aug 6 05:43:58 PDT 2015

Am 06.08.2015 um 14:32 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Thu, 06.08.15 14:26, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:
>
>> thanks - hopefully there will be soon a fedora update
>>
>> in the meantime i worked around that issue by remove the RuntimeDirectory
>> stuff from all mysql instances and just point the pid-file which systemd
>> don't need anyways to /dev/null
>
> This is primarily a result of Type=simple btw. If you use any other type
> then this cannot really be triggered, since we won't fork two children
> simultaneoulsy then.

well, but "Type=simple" is default and recommended everywhere because
there is no main-pid to guess and the with "Restart=always" monitored is
in fact "ExecStart"

"ExecStartPost=" should in no case be started simultaneoulsy

i don't get how that issue can exist at all because i would expect
"RuntimeDirectory" created at the very first begin of the service start
which is likely the case because

* mysqld is started as user "mysql"
* so that user can't create a subfolder below /run
* because it works the behavior here is as expexted
* but i see no reason that especially "ExecStartPost="
   and also "ExecStart=" have any business in create
   "RuntimeDirectory" - the whole purpose of that is
   to create a directory with the correct permssions
   so that the low privileged Exec-prcoesses can write
   there