[systemd-devel] difference in restart behavior between 219 and 220?

Vadim Berezniker vadim at berezniker.com
Mon Aug 10 11:51:56 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 09.07.15 23:14, Vadim Berezniker (vadim at berezniker.com) wrote:
>
>> If a service fails to start because a dependency fails but that dependency
>> successfully starts after an automatic restart, I would expect the failed
>> dependent to attempt to start as well now that its dependency is
>> happy.
>
> Hmm, if the automatic restart is configured for the service rather
> than the dep (or in addition to), you should get the behaviour you are
> looking for, no?
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering, Red Hat

It works as expected if the service and dependencies come up
successfully and later a dependency fails.
If a dependency fails when 'start' is called, the service will not be
restarted even if the dependency eventually succeeds because of a
restart policy.