[systemd-devel] SHM parameters on nspawn containers

Chris Bell cwbell at narmos.org
Wed Aug 26 08:34:34 PDT 2015

Hello all,

I'm attempting to run GitLab (with postgresql) on a CentOS 7 container
with systemd-nspawn. Postgre keeps failing, because it tries to allocate
more shared memory than the container seems to allow. I cannot use
sysctl to write the kernel.shmmax and kernel.shmall properties, since
/sys isn't *real* (sysctl -w fails with 'read-only file system'). I have
the values set correctly in the host machine, but they do not seem to
propagate/be available to the container. Is there any way I can set
(increase) the kernel.shmmax and kernel.shmall values in the container?

Host: systemd 224 on Arch LTS Kernel (3.14.51)
Guest: systemd 208 on CentOS 7 container

Thanks,

Chris